Hello and welcome back to Equity, a podcast about the business of startups, where we unpack the numbers and nuance behind the headlines. Every Monday or Tuesday, elegance and Alex browse the news and take notes on what’s going on to start the week.
We’re a day late here thanks to the US holiday, which means it’s going to be a short week – here at least. But that doesn’t mean it’s slow. In fact the opposite:
- Russian military aggression in Ukraine hammers global stock market, though not everywhere it’s worth noting. Crypto prices are generally flat downward as well. Most crypto tokens have fallen sharply in the past week.
- SoFi buys Technisys for $1.1 billion. The deal is not getting favorable reviews from Wall Street, but for consumer fintech the concept of getting its own infrastructure in-house makes perfect sense.
- TRUTH Social launched and struggled to keep up with early demand. That’s funny considering the time it took to build. TechCrunch has more here.
- FTX.us wants to bring crypto to a game near you. The Verge has the key quote here, I won’t do it, but it hasn’t allayed my general skepticism.
- And we have so much more here, related to startups.
It’s going to be a busy, hectic week. And a full of stress, given the state of the world. So no rest! More coffee! We can do this!