Nikeytha (“Nickey”) Ramsey was a traveling speech pathologist who returned to work after the birth of her second child. As she struggled with leaking plastic bags, clunky bottles or heavy glass jars, she thought, “There must be a better way!” And she found it. She invented the Junobie Reusable Breast Milk Pouches, the world’s first breast milk storage pouches that prevent leakage, are reusable and produce zero waste. Junobie bags save moms money and often their sanity, while saving the planet. With approximately four million babies born in the US each year, the disposal rate of plastic milk storage bags is nearly three billion per year. That’s a lot of plastic invading our environment! And it’s a big part of the family budget.
Characteristics of the Junobie
- Made with 100% FDA-approved food-grade silicone that is naturally resistant to bacteria, keeps milk fresher for longer and protects milk from temperature fluctuations and potential leaching from standard plastics.
- Free from harmful BPA, BPS, phthalates and lead.
- Unique locking slide provides an airtight seal to the bag to prevent leakage at home or on the go.
- Can be stored standing or lying down.
- Stands upright for easy filling and pouring.
- Can be frozen and thawed as required.
- Safe for use in dishwashers (top rack only), ovens (up to 250 degrees) and microwaves.
* Do not put the slider in the dishwasher or in hot water.
- Contains six to eight ounces of milk to allow expansion when frozen.
- Once the baby is weaned, the bags can be used for other purposes, such as carrying snacks or storing homemade baby food.
Junobie Maker and CEO
Nickey had a difficult childhood, including a period of homelessness. Fortunately, she had mentors who believed in her and encouraged her. She graduated from high school and attended Purdue University, where she earned a Bachelor of Applied Science in Audiology and Speech Therapy. From there, she attended the University of Cincinnati for an MA in Communication Sciences and Disorders.
When she decided she wanted children, she opted for more flexibility in her career and joined Indiana’s Early Intervention Program and Preschool Language Development. In that capacity, she served families throughout the Indianapolis area and rural western Indiana with infants and toddlers with language-related developmental delays or disabilities.
Junobie’s values mirror Nickey’s:
- Simplicity: The simple things in life are blessings. Small steps lead to simplification of everyday life.
- Reliability: Junobie products are designed to last and Junobie will be with you as your family grows.
- Sustainability: Reduction and reuse are key to preserving the environment. Junobie milk storage bags save your milk and our planet.
- Community: Parenting is not an easy task. Junobie wants to create a judgment-free, supportive community for parents.
- Junobie products now ship to Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, New Zealand and Puerto Rico. In addition, there are worldwide distributors.
- Junobie was selected by People magazine for their “Last-Minute (But Luxurious) Gifts for Any Pregnant or New Mama in Your Life.”
Shark Tank Air Date: 25-02-2022 – Season 13 – Episode 14