Students of 10+2 mathematics are crazy about IIT. May be you are one of them too who desperately want to be a part of IIT. But, let me tell you. There are options other than IIT which can be as good as a life with IIT.
Here, I’m giving a list of some institutes which can be said as alternative for IIT. This list covers those institutes where students of PCM 12th pass can apply. Some of these are very much around or better than IIT. Have a look:
- SCRA: Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA) aka Railway Engineering is an examination conducted by UPSC for selecting candidates suitable for engineering department of Railway. It is a very royal job with large prospects. It is also the toughest exam at 10+2 level. There are just around 10 vacancies each year. Still lot of people sits for its exam. Also, your salary will start just after passing this exam. It is the dream course.
- ISI: Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) is a very old institute of mathematics, statistics, economics and computer science. It is best institute in India for Statistics and Mathematics and second best for Economics (after DSE). The pass-outs from this institute are very much in demand all over world. Placements are better than even IIMs. Above all there are no fees. Instead handsome stipends each month are given to the students. This in my sense is best alternative for IIT. Obviously, many students come to this institute after getting top ranks in IIT JEE. Some leave IIT after getting top ten ranks for ISI.
- CA: For mathematics branch students, CA is not the prime choice. Those who opt for CA after 10+2 with mathematics basically, if they don’t get selected somewhere for engineering. But, CA should not be just seen as a degree for commerce students. Mathematics students have high chances to perform better in this course. CA aka Chartered accountant is the high earning job. You may work in a company or set-up your own company for auditing accounts. It is just like law. Every company needs service from a CA. As economy is booming and CA course is tough. This sector will be in more demand than else.
- Actuarial: Actuarial is something very much of same nature as CA. But, have more importance than CA. In India this course is conducted by India Actuarial Society. It is a new field in India. But, demands are very high all over world, not just in India. This course is not for everyone. Only sharp minded people are taken for this course. Basic requirement is mathematics as a subject in 12th with 75% for 10+2 students. 75% marks in mathematics just say the requirement needed for being an actuarial. The most important point, you may study for other course with this. Like engineering or graduation. In fact, if some of your course match with the course of Actuarial. You don’t have to write the exam twice. Your regular course marks are accepted by Actuarial society.
- NID: National Institute of Design (NID) is not a very common name among general students. But, it is a very popular name among those who know even a little about design, graphics or creativity courses in India. This is the best institute to learn about designing. One may just think the need of the students from this institute in market.
- NDA: National Defense Academy (NDA) is a very popular exam at 10+2 level. But, popularity of engineering has lowered the no. of quality students for this exam. Yeah, through this exam you may not earn handsome money after NDA. Also, course is physically a bit tough. But, yeah, the proud to be a soldier of India can never be compared with money. Students now a day seek fun and entertainment during course. That fun is not here. But, still here you will get adventure, high esteem and position in society. Pay is not good. But, perks are good. Overall, those who don’t want to traditional, boring corporate jobs can join Indian Army through this course.
- NIFT: National institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is a popular brand name. The course here attracts those who want to go in glamor life. No doubt this course needs creativity. Without creativity, you may not perform well. But, yeah this is a high paying and booming sector in India.
- NLSIU: National Law School of India University (NLSIU) is the best institute in India for Law. As economically, India is developing rapidly. Lots of MNCs are coming each year in India. All of them need law personnel. But, students in India are crazy about engineering and management. Other courses don’t get the best quality. So is the case with NLSIU. Students getting here are good but not the best. So, exam is easy to crack with little effort. But, the money after this course is very good.
- IIIT: Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) is a project of Indian government to satisfy the demand of IT professionals in India with quality candidates. Courses here are mainly related to IT or computer science. Seats are few in number. But, competition is not as much as for IIT. Some of IIT conduct separate exam. Some take students from AIEEE. This is best course for computer related if you don’t get selected in IITs or few NITs.
- NIT: National Institute of Technology (NIT) is institutes which were earlier known as Regional Engineering College. These colleges are good, reputed, and old and get good placements too. Earlier, students get admission in these colleges via state engineering examination. Students were not evenly balanced in sort of quality than sorting on the basis of state. Also, as students can’t aim at these institutes directly. Hence, these colleges could not make such a reputation as an IIT. These are premier institutes but not the popular ones. These institutes have infrastructure and all sort of facility to produce best engineers. But, they don’t get the best students.
- CMI: Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI) is one of the best institutes in India for Mathematics and Physics. This institute has gained much reputation in very less time. No doubt for research preference this could be on top of your list.
- Hotel Management: Hotel Management is very attractive field in recent times as India is developing as a tourist hub and tourist are coming from all around the world in India. Also, now-a-days Indian locals are traveling a lot. Some of the best institutes of hotel management are Oberoi Centre, Delhi; IHM, Mumbai; WGSHA. Manipal; and IHM, Delhi.
- Merchant Navy: Merchant navy is a high paying job. It is course for become a crew member of a ship. The best institute in this field is TS Chanakya which takes students through IIT JEE. But, it has a separate selection process. Other institutes of Merchant Navy also have the same prospect. No doubt if you want to earn real money, Merchant navy should be the best choice.
- IISER/NISER: Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) and National Institute of Science Education Research (NISER) is a project of government to satisfy the scientist need of India. This is a full government funded institutes. You will get handsome stipends to study here. Future prospect is also good. Students from here can easily get admissions anywhere in the world for higher education. Also, prospect in India is good. Scientist are in demand everywhere. Government is thinking to open research gates for private owners in India. So, students from these institutes will be in High demand in near future. Students may get admission to these institutes through IIT JEE EML.
- Aeronautics: Aeronautics is a high paying field. In India, this sector is on boom and is expected to need three fold more professionals in coming 10 years. Best institute to get in this field is some IIT where this course is taught. Like IIT Kanpur. But, there are other institutes too who can give same prospects as aeronautics from IITs. These are IIA Group of Institutions.
- IIST Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) is a new institute, established in 2007 by Indian government. It is Asia’s first space institute and the first in the world to offer the complete range of undergraduate, post graduate, doctoral programmes with specific focus to space science, technology and applications. If someone have interest in space industry this is the best option.
On the whole, if you look closely at the list above. These are the best institutes of their respective fields. Hence, we could easily infer that an institute which is best in its field could come in this list.
Also, Keep this in mind nearly every field is open for mathematics students (except medical). So, not just IIT should be your prime stop. You may go to any of these and become successful. Some will give you high reputation and some will give you high money. Some even both. But, try to think beyond IITs. There are hopes beyond IIT.
Source by Abhishek Rukhaiyar